Wednesday 22 October 2014

New beginnings and distant horizons

Its been three and a half years since I became involved in the work of BSU Archive.

Back in January 2011 I started sorting through a pile of random documents on top of a filing cabinet, and a few days ago we moved a large collection of filed, boxed and catalogued documents, artefacts and images into a large office. Since the move back to the Castle at Newton Park, this new archive office looks very tidy and official by comparison to our humble starting point.

During the intervening time I have learned a great deal, not least the story of Newton Park and much that has happened here over the years. I've written a book, with Dr Roberta Anderson, which is due to be published in the autumn. I've delivered walking tours, lectures and conference papers, and look forward to exploring the story of Newton Park College through my PhD studies, which are now well under way.

I've also had the pleasure of mentoring students in the work of the archive, and witnessing their own development as they pass through their second and third years and on to graduation and beyond. My thanks to Rachel, Richard, Hayley, Adam, Laura, Alice and Carol, and recent newcomers Ashley, Tom, Rebekah and Jessica. All have helped to progress the work, but my particular thanks go to Richard, who brought his technical skills as well as his personal commitment and drive to the project. He has now completed his MA degree, and continues to act as an advisor when the technological going gets tough!

The work will continue, but the PhD brings further teaching responsibilities which I now look forward to embracing, after a gentle beginning this year.

I will continue to carry out my research in the archive office, of course, and so I'll still be around to see the next developments. Meanwhile, this blog will be written by the new student team.

I'll be in a little corner of the archive, trawling through books and documents as I write my PhD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...